About Cherokee County Health Department Murphy NC
In order to get more information on this clinic, click on the icons below. You may be required to join for free in order to access full contact information.
The Cherokee County Health Department offers many services to local citizens. Walk-ins are welcome for most services. Accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield,Medicaid and also use a sliding fee scale for clinic charges.
A gynecological exam and method of birth control are provided to teens and adult women. The health department offers birth control pills, Depo Provera, Implanon, Mirena and Paraguard IUDs, condoms, Emergency Contraception or Plan B, and diaphragms. A sliding fee scale is applied to all eligible patients and they also accept Medicaid. The clinic is staffed by a female Nurse Practitioner and public health nurses. All services are confidential.
Immunizations are available free to children who meet the criteria for VFC (Vaccine for Children) Program. To be considered eligible for the (VFC) Program children must be 18 years of age or younger and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Medicaid eligible,
- American Indian or Alaskan Native,
- Underinsured children: children who have private health insurance but are not covered for vaccines, children whose insurance covers only selected vaccines (VFC-not eligible for covered vaccines only), or children whose insurance caps coverage at a certain amount- once that coverage amount is reached, these children are categorized as underinsured; or
- Unaccompanied minors without proof of insurance presenting to local health department existing Title X clinics.
Immunizations are available for adults. Fees are charged for some of these vaccines. Walk-ins are welcome.
TB skin tests are available on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays.
Child Health Nurse Screening
This program offers a complete physical exam by a registered nurse for Medicaid eligible children. Visit includes assessment of medical problems and referral for follow up with a physician. Kindergarten physicals are also available by appointment.
Breast/Cervical Cancer Screening Program
This program offers a complete physical exam by a Nurse Practitioner and a mammogram for women 50-64 years of age who meet financial eligibility for the program. Women with abnormal findings are referred for diagnosis and treatment.
Women's Health Program
This program offers a physical exam and pap smear to eligible women. There is a fee for this clinic.
This program provides assistance to residents in applying for medications from pharmaceutical assistance programs. There is an $8 fee per prescription per refill up to a maximum of five prescriptions. Out-of-county residents will be charged a fee of $10 per prescription per refill regardless of the number of prescriptions.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - noon and 1 - 5 p.m.
Since this is a sliding fee scale clinic, we have provided the Federal Poverty Guidelines below. Visit the Cherokee County Health Department Murphy NC website listed above to see what the level is needed for free care.
Federal Poverty Guidelines for 2021
|Persons In Family Household||Poverty Guideline Salary per year|
For Households with more than 8 persons, add $4,480 for each additional person.
*Alaska and Hawaii have different rates for HUD federal poverty guidelines.
These numbers above represent 100% of the Federal Poverty Rate. In order to get reduced or free services from some clinics, they use a sliding fee scale based on your income.When they use a sliding fee scale, the 100% rate can be different than 100%. In those cases, using for example a 200% federal poverty level, you will only need double the 100% number listed above to 200%.
COVID-19 Information for Patients
Contact your healthcare provider by phone before coming to a clinic or hospital if you meet the following criteria:
- Symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath, fatigue, headache
- Symptoms such as muscle or body aches, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose.
- Contact with someone with confirmed COVID-19 within 14 days of onset of systems
Mild Covid Symptoms
- Low-grade fever (approx 100 degrees Fahrenheit for adults)
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Mild, dry cough
- Mild body aches
Moderate Covid Symptoms
- Fever above 100.4 F
- Persistent cough
- Temporary shortness of breath when you exert yourself
- Exhaustion, need to stay in bed
Severe Covid Symptoms
- Constant trouble breathing
- Persistent chest pain or pressure
- Trouble staying awake
- Blue lips or face